[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [qemu-devel] Default machine type setting for ppc64

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 21 08:39:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 09:31:26AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 21 May 2013 09:19, Li Zhang <zhlcindy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We encounter this problem in openstack which always use
> > default machine type. Currently, QEMU sets mac99 as default
> > setting for ppc64 but it doesn't work on our platform at all.
> >
> > I tried to fix this in libvirt which it is not acceptable because
> > libvirt only considers to get default setting from QEMU.
>
> This will need to be fixed for ARM -- the whole idea of there
> being a sensible "default machine type" and it being the one
> QEMU starts by default is pretty x86-centric. libvirt needs
> to have support for specifying which machine to use.

Libvirt has always had support for specifying what machine type to use.
This discussion is simply about what machine type to default to, if the
user hasn't explicitly asked for one.

QEMU has the notion of a default machine for each target, and that is
what libvirt uses if the user hasn't specified a machine.  It is not
libvirt's job to override QEMU's notion of the default machine here,
so if the 'mac99' machine type isn't suitable as the default either
QEMU needs to change that for the ppc target, or the user needs to
explicitly specify their desired machine type.