[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [qemu-devel] Default machine type setting for ppc64

Li Zhang zhlcindy at gmail.com
Tue May 21 08:45:21 UTC 2013

On 2013年05月21日 16:31, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 21 May 2013 09:19, Li Zhang <zhlcindy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We encounter this problem in openstack which always use
>> default machine type. Currently, QEMU sets mac99 as default
>> setting for ppc64 but it doesn't work on our platform at all.
>>
>> I tried to fix this in libvirt which it is not acceptable because
>> libvirt only considers to get default setting from QEMU.
> This will need to be fixed for ARM -- the whole idea of there
> being a sensible "default machine type" and it being the one
> QEMU starts by default is pretty x86-centric. libvirt needs
> to have support for specifying which machine to use.
Ah, libvirt does have support for specifying one machine type.

I mean that libvirt set default according to QEMU's default setting,
and management tools are dependent on this default setting without
users' specified setting.

I tried to change the default setting according to ppc64 platform
in libvirt, but it is not accepted.
> (There is consideration of changing the default ppc64
> machine, as it happens; but in general you can't rely
> on QEMU doing what you want if you don't tell it
> specifically which board you wanted.)
I see.  Thanks for your suggestion. :)