[libvirt] Live migration for containers - Was "RE: libvirt support for LXC"

Christian Benvenuti (benve) benve at cisco.com
Sat Nov 2 00:56:37 UTC 2013

Hello,
  based on the 3D below, it seems that the most logical way to
add support for

	 container live migration

to libvirt is to integrate the latter with CRIU.
If I understand it correctly, Daniel's suggestion below would be
that of
- 1st converting CRIU to a library
- 2nd making libvirt use that library to C/R the container/s

CRIU has recently announced support for

	CRIU as a service

and the reason why they opted for a service instead of a library [1] seems
to be associated with a use case they had:

	ability for an application to invoke a self-dump C/R

In Libvirt's case it would not be the container to ask for a self dump, but it would
be libvirt itself to orchestrate it.

In light of the new CRIU as a service feature, is libvirt's preference still
that of using a library? Would a service be equally good?

Is there anyone actively working or looking at this (libvirt+CRIU)?

Thanks
/Chris

[1]
CRIU: Time and Space Travel Service for Linux Applications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Net9eItBc
@37'10'' - CRIU as a system service