[libvirt] ANNOUNCE: libvirt 1.0.5.6 maintenance release

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Wed Oct 2 18:12:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:59:03AM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 01:36:40PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > I basically do:
> >
> > - quick smoke test to make sure libvirt and virsh are working:
> > -- stop system libvirtd
> > -- sudo ./daemon/libvirt
> > -- sudo ./tools/virsh list --all
> > - make check && make rpm && make distcheck
> > - cd po/ && make update-po
> > - bump configure.ac
> > - bump rpm spec
> > - git tag v$VER -m "libvirt release $VER"
> > - commit
> > - git push && git push --tags
> > - git clean -xdf && ./autogen.sh --system && make dist
> > - upload tarball
> > - update http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Maintenance_Releases
> > - send out announce mail
>
> It would be very nice if the announce mail included either a sha256
> checksum for the tarball (thanks Guido for doing that in your recent
> release!), or a GPG key used to sign the release, see
> http://lwn.net/Articles/548857/ for more details about this.

I sign the tag as well as the email so together with the checksums this
builds the "chain of trust" (given you trust my gpg signature). A
further improvement would be to build the tarballs first and then add
the checksums as the commit message of the tag - I'll try to do that
with the next 0.9.12.x release.

This is the quick hack I'm currently using based on Cole's description -
it sure needs further tweeking when doing further releases:

---

#!/bin/bash
#

set -e

if [ -z "$1" -o -z "$2" ]; then
    echo "Usage $0 version oldversion"
    exit 1
fi

VERSION=$1
OLDVER=$2

TARBALL=libvirt-$1.tar.gz

MD5=$(md5sum $TARBALL)
SHA1=$(sha1sum $TARBALL)
SHA256=$(sha256sum $TARBALL)

git tag -s -m "libvirt release $VERSION" v$VERSION
CHANGES=$(git log --no-merges --pretty="    %s (%an)" v$OLDVER..v$VERSION)

cat <<EOF