[libvirt] Changing test_driver.c file

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 18:15:45 UTC 2013

[no need to post to two separate lists; this is a development question,
so replies can drop libvirt-users]

On 10/04/2013 12:08 PM, Arun Viswanath wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For some testing purpose I've changed some content in
> src/test/test_driver.c and then used "make" command to compile and build
> the code. Then I copied the "libvirt.so.0.9.10.so" file to the target

Huh?  Why are you building 0.9.10 instead of the latest 1.1.3?

> machine and restart the libvirtd daemon, but the changes I made in
> test_driver.c is nothing reflected. I'm not sure whether I'm missing
> something. Is it moving only the "libvirt.so.0.9.10.so" is enough or I need
> to move some .a files ? , but I'm not seeing any ".a" in the kvm host
> related to libvirt to replace. Please provide me sufficient info to proceed
> further.

What configure options did you use when you built libvirt?  Manually
copying single files onto a target machine is almost always wrong; much
better is to 'make install' (perhaps with an appropriate
DESTDIR=/staging setting), then place that entire installed tree into
place on the destination.  If you are using a Fedora-based distro, 'make
rpm' will even turn your self-built binary into an rpm that you can
install using your package manager, for much easier control over getting
everything right.