[libvirt] Can we make sc_copyright_check non-fatal?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 21:48:41 UTC 2013

On 10/08/2013 03:39 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> The copyright date syntax check is a source of frustration for me:
>
> - It fails on old maint branches.

In general, 'make syntax-check' is NOT guaranteed to work on maint
branches, nor is it worth trying to make it work there.  If anything,
the best thing to do would be figuring out how to patch 'make
syntax-check' to be a complete no-op on maint branches and only operate
on a (descendant of) the master branch, precisely because out-of-order
backports to maint branches makes it practically impossible to guarantee
that we can consistently meet whatever style future development on the
master branch decides is now in vogue.

> - It pokes into non git managed directories in $(srcdir).

That's probably a bug, and we should be able to fix it upstream in
gnulib.  Syntax checkers should be able to be limited to just git files.
 I guess the idea was that it checks non-managed files to ensure a
tarball doesn't have generated files with a broken copyright date, but
there's probably a better way to do that.