[libvirt] Can we make sc_copyright_check non-fatal?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 21:57:57 UTC 2013

On 10/08/2013 05:48 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 03:39 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> The copyright date syntax check is a source of frustration for me:
>>
>> - It fails on old maint branches.
>
> In general, 'make syntax-check' is NOT guaranteed to work on maint
> branches, nor is it worth trying to make it work there.  If anything,
> the best thing to do would be figuring out how to patch 'make
> syntax-check' to be a complete no-op on maint branches and only operate
> on a (descendant of) the master branch, precisely because out-of-order
> backports to maint branches makes it practically impossible to guarantee
> that we can consistently meet whatever style future development on the
> master branch decides is now in vogue.

Agreed on that for the most part. It can still be beneficial to run,
particularly after a hairy backport though, and it's frustrating to be blocked
on something like a copyright date. But you're right that we can never
guarantee it will continue to work.

>> - It pokes into non git managed directories in $(srcdir).
>
> That's probably a bug, and we should be able to fix it upstream in
> gnulib.  Syntax checkers should be able to be limited to just git files.
>  I guess the idea was that it checks non-managed files to ensure a
> tarball doesn't have generated files with a broken copyright date, but
> there's probably a better way to do that.

That's my main complaint, so if it's fixed, I'll be satisfied. Thanks.

But really any test that is basically going to hinder normal work by demanding
a gnulib update on January 1st just seems ill advised IMO.

- Cole