[libvirt] libvirt URI for "UNIX abstract namespace"?

Philipp Hahn hahn at univention.de
Fri Oct 11 07:01:24 UTC 2013

Hello,

while trying to reproduce a performance problem I had to fake 95 hosts with 300 VMs. My idea was to setup 95 users with each one running a session libvirtd. When adding them to our management system I had was troubled with finding the right libvirt URI, as the default session UNIX socket is in the "abstract ns", which has no file system representation. I solved that by explicitly starting the session libvirtds with a custom config only specifying a physical socket path:
  for ((h=0;h<95;h+=1));do su -c "/usr/sbin/libvirtd -f <(echo "unix_sock_dir=\"/home/host$h/.libvirt\"") -d" "host$h";done

1. is there a way to specify an libvirt URI using the abstract ns?
2. Does anybody know another/better way to simulate many hosts with many VMs?

Thanks in advance.

Philipp
PS: libvirt-0.9.12
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn at univention.de
Univention GmbH        be open.                       fon: +49 421 22 232- 0