[libvirt] Internal error message from netcf when trying to start libvirtd

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 16:03:27 UTC 2013

Hey,

Due to a configuration issue on my system, libvirtd is not starting on my
system (not complaining about this!):
2013-10-15 15:40:51.024+0000: 10222: info : libvirt version: 1.1.3
2013-10-15 15:40:51.024+0000: 10222: error : virNetTLSContextCheckCertFile:117 : Cannot read CA certificate
'/home/teuf/usr/etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem': No such file or directory

However, before libvirtd exits, I get another error message from the netcf
code, which is unexpected this time:
2013-10-15 15:49:18.361+0000: 10222: error : netcfStateCleanup:105 :
internal error: Attempt to close netcf state driver already closed

This message comes from the call of virStateCleanup() at the end of main()
in libvirtd.c. virStateCleanup() should not be called before
daemonStateInit() has been called in main.
After this call, things get more ugly as daemonStateInit() calls
virStateInitialize() from a thread, so there's probably a small window for
virStateInitialize() and virStateCleanup() running concurrently if an error
occurs between the call to daemonStateInit() and the call to
virNetServerRun().

I'm sending this email rather than a patch as I'm not sure what is the best
way to fix it. The easy way would be for virStateCleanup() to be a noop
when virStateInitialize() hasn't been called (iow remove the error message
from netcfStateCleanup). However, this would leave this small race
condition around (which is not that bad as it would only occurs in
situations when the daemon fails to start). So another approach would be to
set a vir_state_initialized boolean once the thread has called
ivrStateInitialize, and only call virStateCleanup() when it's set.

Or maybe there's a 3rd way to fix this?

Let me know if you have any guidance into the best way to fix this,

Christophe