[libvirt] Exploring linbvirt.

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 22 10:21:32 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 11:05 AM, cooldharma06 wrote:
> thanks for your information.

[Please don't top-post on technical lists]

> i am new to these source things. i am seeing large number of files and
> every things new to me. Any guide is available for how to debug the libvirt
> source.

A good resource is to understand this file:
http://libvirt.org/hacking.html

> For example: i want to know how vm's are created by libvirt daemon. From
> where i have to start. Any guide or suggestions.

Explore the web page - there's some overviews on pages such as:
http://libvirt.org/goals.html
http://libvirt.org/api.html

Or set breakpoints in libvirtd, and trace a call to one of the public
APIs.  For example, if you use 'virsh -c $uri start $dom' to start a xen
domain, you can run libvirtd under gdb, put a breakpoint on
virDomainCreate() and step on through the code to see what is involved
in starting a xen guest.