[libvirt] [Users] Starting VM Error

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Sep 15 12:42:19 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 01:59:29PM +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Gianluca Cecchi  wrote:
>
> and
>
> [root at tekkaman ~]# chgrp kvm /var/lib/libvirt/images/testvm.img
> [root at tekkaman ~]# ll /var/lib/libvirt/images/testvm.img
> -rw-rw----. 1 vdsm kvm 197120 Sep 15 12:24 /var/lib/libvirt/images/testvm.img
>
> [root at tekkaman ~]# virsh undefine testvm2
> Please enter your authentication name: virshuser
> Please enter your password:
> Domain testvm2 has been undefined
>
> [root at tekkaman ~]# virsh define /tmp/testvm2.xml
> Please enter your authentication name: virshuser
> Please enter your password:
> Domain testvm2 defined from /tmp/testvm2.xml
>
> [root at tekkaman ~]# virsh start testvm2
> Please enter your authentication name: virshuser
> Please enter your password:
> error: Failed to start domain testvm2
> error: internal error Process exited while reading console log output:
> char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
> qemu-kvm: -drive
> file=/var/lib/libvirt/images//testvm.img,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=qcow2:
> could not open disk image /var/lib/libvirt/images//testvm.img:
> Permission denied

Gianluca, due to all the twists of this thread, I no longer recall which
libvirt version you are using. Would you remind us?

All signs show that it starts up qemu without setting its auxiliary
group properly (Assuming that your
    # groups qemu
    qemu : qemu kvm
is just as mine)

I've added libvir-list so the fine folks there could check why qemu
cannot read/write files group-owned by kvm.

Dan.