[libvirt] Libvirt not able to attach console to VM on ESX hypervisor

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 20 05:00:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Matthias Bolte
<matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2013/9/19 Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com>:
>> On 09/19/2013 11:11 AM, varun bhatnagar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have started a virtual machine on my ESXi server. I was trying to attach
>>> a console to it but when I executed the command I got a message saying that
>>> *"Attaching a console is not supported in the current hypervisor." *Is
>>> there any way (patch or something) through which I can attach a console to
>>> my VM.
>>> The ESX version is 5.1 and I am using latest version of libvirt.
>>
>> I don't know if ESX is capable of supporting a console connection; if it
>> is, it is a matter of finding someone willing to write the patch that
>> interfaces the ESX interface with libvirt.  Are you willing to take on
>> that task?
>
> ESX supports VM serial console access. I once started to implement
> this in libvirt, but never got around to finish it. My Linux
> development box and ESX test server are broken at the moment. I'll
> have to fix them first.
>
> --
> Matthias Bolte
> http://photron.blogspot.com

If you give me access (or a copy of ESX), I'll see what I can do since
I've been hacking at the VMware support in libvirt lately. For that
matter if you've got access to a copy of VMware Fusion as well that'd
be awesome so that I can test the changes I'm making instead of
relying on others to test. *hint any VMware people following the list*

--
Doug Goldstein