[libvirt] Libvirt not able to attach console to VM on ESX hypervisor

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 23 11:13:04 UTC 2013

2013/9/20 Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org>:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Matthias Bolte
> <matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know if ESX is capable of supporting a console connection; if it
>>> is, it is a matter of finding someone willing to write the patch that
>>> interfaces the ESX interface with libvirt.  Are you willing to take on
>>> that task?
>>
>> ESX supports VM serial console access. I once started to implement
>> this in libvirt, but never got around to finish it. My Linux
>> development box and ESX test server are broken at the moment. I'll
>> have to fix them first.
>>
>> --
>> Matthias Bolte
>> http://photron.blogspot.com
>>

> If you give me access (or a copy of ESX), I'll see what I can do since
> I've been hacking at the VMware support in libvirt lately. For that
> matter if you've got access to a copy of VMware Fusion as well that'd
> be awesome so that I can test the changes I'm making instead of
> relying on others to test. *hint any VMware people following the list*

Well, that's not so simple. The initial ESX driver development was
done on two rack server with full ESX licenses in 2009. The servers
and licenses were sponsored as this driver development was part of a
project at my university.

After the project ended I used a Thinkpad as server and a 60 days ESXi
evaluation license. This works because ESXi is happy as long as there
is an CPU with virtualization support and an Intel NIC such as an
e1000, which my Thinkpad has. Storage is provided by an NFS share. The
ESXi 60 days evaluation license lasts quite a while, because the 60
days are for 60 days of runtime.

But because my Linux development box is broken at the moment I have no
ESX system to test, as the Linux box also provided the NFS share. So I
can't help you there at the moment.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com