[libvirt] Xen 4.1 misc issues

Roberto Sassu roberto.sassu at polito.it
Thu Sep 12 11:55:32 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 08:29 PM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Roberto Sassu wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS with the Xen hypervisor
>> installed (package version: 4.1.2-2ubuntu2.10),
>> and Libvirt v0.10.2.2 (that interacts with Xen through
>> the libxl driver).
>>
>> I performed some adjustments to have the required
>> features:
>>
>>   - Switch from Xend to libxl:
>>       I created upstart jobs for xenstored and xenconsoled
>>       so that necessary daemons are started earlier enough
>>       and Libvirt can contact the hypervisor through libxl.
>>
>>   - Add support for Open vSwitch:
>>       I added the script 'vif-openvswitch', taken from
>>       the master branch of the GIT repository, to the
>>       /etc/xen/scripts directory in order to plug network
>>       interfaces to Open vSwitch switches.
>>
>> I know that the support for libxl is experimental
>> in Xen 4.1, but I'm wondering if someone has a solution
>> to the following issues:
>
> Note that in libvirt 1.0.1, I removed support for Xen 4.1 libxl from the
> libvirt libxl driver when adding support for libxl in Xen 4.2 and beyond
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-November/msg01582.html
>
> The libxl interface underwent several incompatible changes between 4.1
> and 4.2, and since libxl in 4.1 was experimental I saw no reason to
> clutter the libvirt libxl driver with support both.  For Xen <= 4.1, you
> should use the legacy xen libvirt driver, which has been around for
> years and is quite stable.
>
> If you are interested in libxl, can you use a more recent Xen (>= 4.2)
> and libvirt (preferably 1.1.2 since it contains console support you
> mention below)?  IMO, I don't think we should waste time investigating
> issues in a configuration no longer supported.

Hi Jim

ok. Just an update on the tests I'm doing that may help others
which are encountering the same error.

The failure rate of the configuration I reported in the
previous email is about 36% (18 failed attempts over 50 total).

If I remove the 'vfb' block in the Xen domain configuration
or the 'graphics' block in the Libvirt XML, the failure
rate is 0,56% (7 failed attempts over 1241 total).

The issue seems related to the device attaching operation,
as I observed, in the output of 'xenstore-ls', that the
state of 'qdisk' in the dom0 section is '1' instead
of '4' and the state of 'vbd' in the domU section is '3'
instead of '4'.

I'm attaching the output of xenstore-ls after instantiating
with virsh two VMs without the 'graphics' block, once at time.
I'm reporting the content for a VM correctly instantiated
and for a VM not properly started.

Regards

Roberto Sassu