[libvirt] USB: USB Passthrough Device Autoconnect Feature

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 13 09:47:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:37:33AM +0000, Gonglei (Arei) wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Qemu upstream had achieved USB Passthrough Device Autoconnect Feature for the guest.
> Such as a USB device is unplugged from the host then plugged back in to the same USB physical port.
>
> the patch was:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-05/msg02341.html
>
> However, Libvirt has not provide such an interface that identifies a USB device for pass through with physical port,
> rather than the device number.
>
> Do you have any ideas or plans about this problem? Thanks in advance.

Automatically connecting host devices as they are plugged into the
host is a policy decision, and has security implications too - QEMU
will be forbidden to access any plugged devices due to sVirt and also
file permissions. As such we delegate this tasks to applications using
libvirt, and do not intend to do anything to have this automatic plugging
done by libvirt or qemu itself.