[libvirt] error: server response too large

Viktor Mihajlovski mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 30 15:55:00 UTC 2013

>>> 0.9.8-2ubuntu17.13.
>>
>> This works as expected. 0.9.8 still had a small buffer for RPC messages.
>> It's since 0.9.13 release that we've switched to dynamically allocated
>> buffer and hence could size up the limit for incoming data. Update the
>> client and problem will just go away.
>
> Actually that is not working as expected. The old client should *always*
> be able to talk to a new server. If the new server is unconditionally
> sending back data that is too large for the client, this is a bug.

True, however I don't see how to fix it for past versions,
specifically we can't go back to the small buffers again.
For a proper solution client and server would need to advertise their
respective maximum buffer sizes (or know it by the version number)
and restrict themselves to using the lower number.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
    Viktor Mihajlovski

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Köderitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen