[libvirt] Fwd: Start contributing with Libvirt (Finding a mentor or helpful tips)

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 07:33:39 UTC 2014

On 31.03.2014 23:43, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/31/2014 10:00 AM, Julio Faracco wrote:
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I sent an e-mail to Daniel asking about contributing to the libvirt
>> community for free.
>> So, I copied the e-mail to the libvirt mailing list as Daniel suggested me.
>> If anyone can help me I'd be pleased.
>
> Welcome to the community.
>
> I'd suggest starting off by reading http://libvirt.org/hacking.html and
> http://libvirt.org/governance.html to get more of a feel for what
> contributions involve.
>
> Among other things, we prefer working in the open (keep the list in the
> loop), which is why Daniel was right to redirect your 1-on-1 email back
> to the list instead of answering you outright.
>
> And if something didn't make sense, point it out - you aren't the only
> new person, so we'd like to fix it to make it easier for the next reader!
>

>> - Can I fix a random open bug?
>
> Sure.  There's plenty of bugs out there, but it may be easiest to start
> with one that you can personally reproduce.

Just to give you a starting point:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=libvirt&query_format=advanced

Feel free to pick a random bug and try to fix it. If the bug you've
picked is not easy to fix, just repeat the process. BTW: when fixing a
tracked bug we find it very helpful to include the bug ID somewhere in
the commit message, so we can close the bug later.

Michal