[libvirt] [bug?] unix sockets opened via chardev devices not being closed on shutdown

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Apr 1 23:59:11 UTC 2014

I have a case where I'm creating a virtio channel between the host and
guest using something like this:

    <channel type="unix">
      <source mode="bind" path="/path/in/host/instance_name"/>
      <target type="virtio" name="name_in_guest"/>
    </channel>

When qemu is started up this gets created as expected, but when qemu is
shut down the unix socket is left in the filesystem.

It seems to me that libvirt should be deleting this unix socket the same
way that it deletes the monitor socket in qemuProcessStop().  Anyone
else trying to delete it is going to be subject to race conditions since
they can't know whether or not a virtual machine has been (re)created
that wants to use the same socket path.

Chris