[libvirt] VNC sharePolicy not working as expected

Kekane, Abhishek Abhishek.Kekane at nttdata.com
Tue Apr 15 07:01:48 UTC 2014

Hi All,
Greetings!!!

We are using KVM hypervisor driver for running OpenStack IaaS. Couple of months back we have reported one security issue [1] in OS.
Basically we want to limit on the number of vnc client connections that can be opened by users for a given VM.

>From libvirt 1.0.6 version onwards share policy feature is supported to control the way consoles are accessed by the user.
Presently it is possible to configure share policy for vnc in 3 different ways:-
1. allow-exclusive, allows clients to ask for exclusive access by dropping other connections
2. force-share, This is the default value, It allows multiple clients to connect to the console in parallel sharing the same session
3. ignore, welcomes every connection unconditionally

In openstack nova for libvirt driver I am able to configure the sharePolicy value to graphics element of domain's xml.

<graphics type="vnc" autoport="yes" keymap="en-us" listen="127.0.0.1" sharePolicy="force-shared">
    <listen type='address' address='127.0.0.1'/>
</graphics>
<graphics type="vnc" autoport="yes" keymap="en-us" listen="127.0.0.1" sharePolicy="allow-exclusive">
    <listen type='address' address='127.0.0.1'/>
</graphics>
<graphics type="vnc" autoport="yes" keymap="en-us" listen="127.0.0.1" sharePolicy="ignore">
    <listen type='address' address='127.0.0.1'/>
</graphics>

But while testing I am not able to get expected results for allow-exclusive and ignore sharePolicy.
For allow-exclusive sharePolicy previous connections are not getting dropped and console contents are getting shared among all open consoles.
For ignore sharePolicy also contents are getting shared among all open consoles.

I am using libvirt version 1.1.1 and qemu version is 1.5.0.

We want to restrict only single authorized user to connect to the console dropping previously connected users automatically by using allow-exclusive sharePolicy.

Please let me know what else is required to get this worked successfully.

[1] : https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1227575

Thanks,

Abhishek

Disclaimer:This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding