[libvirt] Test failures with newest gnutls

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 16:25:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 06:19:56PM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> after upgrade to gnutls-3.3.0, I discovered (commandtest fails) that
> any code linked with -lgnutls will have not 3, but 5 open file
> descriptors upon the entry into main().  I asked on gnutls-help [1] if
> they know they are leaking file descriptors.  The response was, that
> this is intended with the explanation being that these FDs (pointing
> to /dev/urandom) are kept open for backward compatibility with
> programs that may chroot into environment without /dev/urandom as the
> previous version didn't require to have access to /dev/urandom when
> calling gnutls code.
>
> Does that seem like our bug that we're relying on fixed number of open
> file descriptors?  Or that we're linking to gnutls when we don't need
> it in commandhelper?  Or should this be fixed somewhere else?

Hmm, before considering the test suite - what is the behaviour when
we use virCommand for real. ie if we launch QEMU, is gnutls causing
us to leak a /dev/urandom FD to QEMU ?  Or is the fact that we
iterate over all FDs forcing them to be close saving us.

IMHO it is really dubious that GNUTLS would open file descriptors
in a library constructor function :-(