[libvirt] Verifying libvirt release tarballs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 10:09:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:40:11PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I cryptographically verify libvirt releases?
> There are no signature/hash files in http://libvirt.org/sources/.
>
> All I see is that your git release tags are PGP signed.
> So, anyone who cares has to ignore everything in http://libvirt.org/sources/
> and needs to regenerate the tarball from git.
> Or do I miss something?

Yeah, re-generate tarball from git doesn't really fly because it contains
auto-generated autoconf stuff that will never give you the exact matching
content without huge amounts of trouble.

I wonder if DV would be willing to generate sigs during release. It is
merely a case of running 'gpg --armour --detach libvirt-x.y.z.tar.gz'
and then uploading the .asc file to libvirt.org too. Likewise for the
python binding tar.gz - pypi would like if we uploaded a .sig file