[libvirt] how to pin disk order when adding SATA disk with virt-manager ?

Jason Vas Dias jason.vas.dias at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:39:52 UTC 2014

Hi - this is my first post to this list - sorry if this is a newbie
question, but:
I want to mount 7 LVM disk volumes under my guest :
  Physical Host Volume:        Guest Device:  Guest FS:
    /dev/mapper/VG_A-vol1  :  /dev/sda       : /root file system
    /dev/mapper/VG_S-swap2 : swap           : swap partition
    /dev/mapper/VG_C-vol3   : /dev/sdc       : /home file system
    /dev/mapper/VG_G-vol7   : /dev/sdg       : /x some necessary other storage
I am booting with the "Direct Boot" option and kernel command line
containing "root=/dev/sda" - ie. there  HAS to be some particular /dev/sdX
where X is the virtual order of the disks on the virtual SATA bus / device
minor number to letter mapping .
Every time I add a new volume via the virt-manager the ordering of ALL
disks change , and I must manually discover which drive letter
('a-g' in /dev/sd[a-g]) maps to which disk ,  even though the ordering as
shown in the GUI remains the same - ie. when I click on the 'SATA Disk 1'
icon in the virt-manager 'Details...' tab,  it still shows the correct LVM
is associated with Disk 1, but the system does not boot because what
was '/dev/sda' is now '/dev/sdb'  .
Is this a bug ?  Can I request a "New Feature" which would allow me
to specify the "Bus Sequence Number" in the Virtual Disk panel
(where I currently can specify Source Path, Disk Bus, Advanced Options etc...
) - surely you could let users map disks to devices in a way that does not
change with each new disk added ?
Anyway, that's my 2 cents on $subject .
Any thoughts / suggestions gratefully received .
Thanks & Regards ,
Jason