[libvirt] libseccomp and KVM

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Dec 14 14:01:25 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 12:13 PM, Raymond Durand wrote:
> Thanks.

> <mailto:stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com>>:
>
>     On 12/12/2014 10:32 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 04:24:55PM +0100, Raymond Durand wrote:
>
>             Thanks.
>
>             How are the rules managed so as to fit the VM system calls?
>             Is tuning possible? recommended?
>
>         QEMU has a built-in policy that adds rules for every conceivable
>         function that QEMU might need to execute. Given that is quite
>         broad, the security benefit from seccomp enablement is quit low
>         IMHO
>

>     Base code and (active) devices would each have to report what
>     syscalls they need so this list could be reduced to the minimum ...
>

> "Could be reduced": how? do you have in mind by selecting the
> appropriate active devices at the initialization time?

The difficulty would be to determine which devices require which
syscalls beyond what 'base' QEMU needs (= QEMU without devices). So one
would have to use QEMU with one device after another and see which new
syscalls are required due to a specific device (syscall auditing), then
add the array of syscalls to a device's TypeInfo structure and collect
them this way. If a device's code was to change, you'd have to do it
again. So I think it would be a lot of work all the time.

     Stefan