[libvirt] [RFC] The Quest for Domain-IP Mapping Continues...

Nehal J Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 22:08:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:28:10PM +0530, Nehal J Wani wrote:

>> > I don't see any real reason to have separate APIs for each method.
>> > The API signature will be the same in all cases, so having a single
>> > virDomainGetInterfaceAddrs() method with a bunch of flags to control
>> > what data source is used is preferrable. I'd expect the DHCP leases
>> > method to be used as the default, since that's the most likely method
>> > to succeed in the common case.
>>
>> So, should I go ahead and redo that patch, with two flags enabled?
>
> I think yuou should redo that patch series adding the DHCP lease support,
> since that's the reason we didn't merge that code last time around.

The patch series is ready, but I have one question: From a developer's
point of view, what should happen, when more than one flag is
specified? (We can mention that the results can be ambiguous from
user's point of view). Intuition says that the results should be
combined. Options (virHashTable):
(i) Should we use interface name as the key?
(ii) Should we use the mac address as the key?
Or should we just say that at one time, only one flag is supported?

--
Nehal J Wani