[libvirt] Compiling libvirt RPC client library for QNX

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 16:45:59 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 05:58 AM, Panday Ritesh Sharma (rpanday) wrote:

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> Hi Roman,
> Before I jump to the compilation of libvirt for QNX, I thought of
> compiling it on linux with my required options. So that I will be knowing
> what all files are of my use (from compilation log). For that I ran
> ./configure with below option and then tried 'make'. But 'make' complains
> there is no 'makefile' and I need to run './configure' before I run
> 'make'. Please see the log below. Am I missing any thing here ?
>

> checking whether to compile with virtual port support... yes
> checking for LIBNL... no
> configure: error: libnl-devel >= 1.1 is required for macvtap support

You missed reading this error message.  You either need libnl-devel
installed, or to pass additional --without-* options to configure that
avoid whatever was assuming that libnl was required (based on the error
message, you might have luck with './configure --without-macvtap' if you
aren't in the mood to install things).  It may also be worth patching
libvirt to behave saner by automatically avoiding macvtap when libnl is
not available; patches are welcome, but it's lower priority for most
developers, since most of us tend to build on machines with all the
prereqs installed rather than focusing on minimal builds.

> blr-vxr-052~$ make
> There seems to be no Makefile in this directory.
> You must run ./configure before running `make'.
> make: *** [abort-due-to-no-makefile] Error 1
> blr-vxr-052~$

Therefore it is no surprise that there was no makefile created.
Oftentimes, I recommend using './configure && make' rather than
'./configure; make', so that 'make' is not attempted if configure fails.