[libvirt] libvirt default network

Thierry Parmentelat thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr
Tue Feb 11 08:28:56 UTC 2014

Hi

This is in echo to a message originally sent on libvirt-users, but having not received any answer yet so we figured we would try this list instead

So, we use libvirt on various flavours of fedora; with fedora18 we were using libvirt-1.0.4, that we rebuilt using a slightly modified version of mainstream specfile
Under fedora20 we’ve first tried using the libvirt version that comes with vanilla fedora - 1.1.3 - but are seeing glitches that apparently are fixed in 1.2.1, so we’re giving this a shot

The problem we have is, right after installation of our libvirt rpm, the ‘default’ network is not known to the system:
[root at vnode07 ~]# virsh -c lxc:// net-dumpxml default
error: failed to get network 'default'
error: Network not found: no network with matching name ‘default'

While the ‘source’ file for this default network did ship with the rpm
[root at vnode07 ~]# rpm -qf /usr/share/libvirt/networks/default.xml
libvirt-daemon-driver-network-1.2.1-0.x86_64

------------
What we used to have with 1.0.4 and 1.1.3 at that same point (right after yum install) is
[root at vnode05 ~]# virsh -c lxc:// net-dumpxml default
<network connections='1510’>
..
</network>

—
So, I’m confident we can tweak our specfile to get this to work by adding something like net-define / net-autostart / net-start somewhere near the post install script of the daemon package or something

However we would appreciate some insight as to how this would happen in the first place; is this an intentional change on your end ?
or did we screw that up somehow ? if so, I could not find out precisely how this network definition is supposed to take place when the package gets installed, any hint / insight on that would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance