[libvirt] Is it possible to set a timeout to the Connection class?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 14:54:54 UTC 2014

> FWIW, for the initial 'virConnectOpen' API I think it probably would
> be worthwhile us supporting a standardized "timeout" URI parameter.
> That way if the remote service doesn't respond at all for some
> reason users can have fine control.  That's a sufficiently targetted
> use case that it'd be easy to do, compared to timeouts for arbitrary
> APIs.

Indeed - having a timeout on the initial connection attempt is much more
useful than worrying about individual APIs when you have a responsive
connection, since it is the indeterminate time of establishing a remote
connection that may be the problem here.  But does that mean yet another
C API?  We already have virConnectOpen{,ReadOnly,Auth}.  Or are you
envisioning this just in the language bindings (Java, python - but not C)?