[libvirt] Reporting log/error messages through capabilities

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 16:56:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 04:51:17PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 01:56:24PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > >

> > > This all will be solved by administration module, once we implement
> > > it. I don't know about anybody working on it though.
> >
> > Yeah, we really need to get our act together on that. I might even be
> > able to squeeze out some free time for this in the next few weeks. At
> > least to get a proof of concept working with 1 or 2 example APIs.
>
> Is there some background reading on this feature?

Nothing nicely written up in any one place.

The general idea though is that we'll create an administrative API for
libvirtd. eg a libvirtadmin.so that connects to a dedicated UNIX socket
like /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-admin which has its own RPC program running
separate from the main RPC program. This library / RPC protocol would be
thus independant of any specific HV connection. The original motivation
was to provide the host admin with a way to turn on/off logging levels
without having to restart libvirtd itself. We also wanted a way to inspect
what clients are connected and what API calls they were waiting for
completion of.