[libvirt] RFE: Make saveDir/cacheDir/snapshotDir/dumpDir configurable and allow per-domain paths

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Feb 24 08:28:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to separate all data of libvirt domains so that each domain
can easily be deleted securely. However libvirt by default uses static
directories to store data from domains such as snapshots, current states
and dumps. Also a cache dir is used for reasons unknown to me. To
separate the data, I would like to use different directories for each
domain. For this these paths need to be configurable e.g. in qemu.conf
and it needs to be possible to for example specify a placeholder in the
path that is substituted by the domain's name, so that e.g.:

/srv/{name}/save/

can be specified to use

/srv/dom1/save/dom1.save

as save path.

This change should have low impact on regular users, because the
defaults can be set to match the current behaviour. What is your opinion
on this?

Do you have any ideas about how to do the name substitution best?

Kind regards
Till

P.S.: I am not subscribed to the list so please CC me.