[libvirt] Compiling libvirt RPC client library for QNX

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 15:22:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 03:10:59PM +0000, Panday Ritesh Sharma (rpanday) wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> I used the option '--without-macvtap' and I was able to compile on my
> linux box. When I compiled, I see many libraries are getting built. But as
> I have explained my requirement earlier, I just need a RPC client library,
> essentially the option '--with-remote'.

You can do a client build by turning off the libvirtd daemon
with --without-libvirtd, and then also disabling any other
pieces you don't want using --without-XXXX - see the output
of 'configure --help' for info on all the options available.

> If I check .c files I see only './src/libvirt.c' and './tools/virsh.c' are
> the two files where '# ifdef WITH_REMOTE' is present.
>
> Does it mean that as per my requirement I only need to compile these files?
>
> My intent is to have a library with minimal files which suffice to my
> requirement. Because that way it will be easier for me to compile them on
> QNX.
>
> You have mentioned on another thread that in a weeks time some new version
> of libvirt will come which we can compile for non-linux machines ? What
> change is coming in that  version ? The latest version of libvirt can not
> be compiled for QNX ?

Libvirt aims to write portable code for as many platforms as is practical.
Currently we officially aim to support Linux (all modern flavours),
FreeBSD, Windows via Mingw64 and OS-X because those are the ones where we
have contributors who do regular testing.

To the best of my knowledge we don't have any contributors who doing testing
on QNX, so we can't make any guarantees about any version of libvirt being
able to work on QNX. We need someone who has access to QNX to try libvirt
on QNX, report any compilation problems encountered and write + test fixes
for them. So if you're able to do this please report problems you find...