[libvirt] Compiling libvirt RPC client library for QNX

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 15:27:23 UTC 2014

On 02/25/2014 08:10 AM, Panday Ritesh Sharma (rpanday) wrote:

Once again, please don't top-post on technical lists.

> Hi Eric,
> I used the option '--without-macvtap' and I was able to compile on my
> linux box. When I compiled, I see many libraries are getting built. But as
> I have explained my requirement earlier, I just need a RPC client library,
> essentially the option '--with-remote'.

To build just the client library, use ./configure --without-libvirtd.

> If I check .c files I see only './src/libvirt.c' and './tools/virsh.c' are
> the two files where '# ifdef WITH_REMOTE' is present.
>
> Does it mean that as per my requirement I only need to compile these files?

No. You must unpack the ENTIRE tarball, and then use the configure
options to control which files are built.  Some of the logic on what to
build is in the makefiles, and another consideration is that there are a
LOT of library files that are used in both libvirt.so (your client
library) and in libvirtd (the daemon executable that you are not building).

> My intent is to have a library with minimal files which suffice to my
> requirement. Because that way it will be easier for me to compile them on
> QNX.

Using configure options to compile fewer files is reasonable.  Omitting
files from the tarball is not.

> You have mentioned on another thread that in a weeks time some new version
> of libvirt will come which we can compile for non-linux machines ? What
> change is coming in that  version ? The latest version of libvirt can not
> be compiled for QNX ?

The latest version is currently 1.2.1, but 1.2.2-rc0 was just announced
and 1.2.2 is expected next week if all goes well.  If you could test
1.2.2-rc0 on QNX, we can still fix issues that you turn up before 1.2.2
goes stable.