[libvirt] How to execute an initial script in a container to start the network interface automatically

WANG Cheng D Cheng.d.Wang at alcatel-sbell.com.cn
Thu Jan 2 03:16:56 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Happy new year to you.

I have a similar question which had been replied by Daniel in the following post:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-March/msg00296.html

I also want to assign a static IP to the container.

As Daniel said, I can successfully assign a static IP to the container manually using " # ifconfig eth0 192.168.122.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up".

Daniel also said that we can use "the regular distro initscripts" to automatically start the network interface, but this doesn't work on my system.

My host is fedora16. I used the command "yum --installroot=/root/fedora16lxc --releasever=16 install -y openssh, bridge-utils" to setup the rootfs for my container, but I am not sure if it is a right way.

After rootfs installation, there is no sub-directory named "network-scripts" in "/etc/sysconfig" . So, I created this directory manually and added a file named "ifcfg-eth0".

My libvirtd and virsh version is 1.0.3.

I tried to add files ".bash_profile" and ".bashrc" in which I revised the shell environment variable such as PATH, I also added the "ifconfig" in the script to try to configure eth0 automatically, but it doesn't work.

I wonder if there is a ".bashrc" for the root of a container? If there is, where should this file be located?

In summary, I have two questions

1)       How to setup rootfs for a container?

2)       If a container can automatically execute an initial script when booting?

Your reply is highly appreciated.

With my warmest regards,

Cheng