[libvirt] [RFC] Implementing ftrace support for libvirt

yuxh yuxinghai at cn.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 3 05:46:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Happy new year!

The existing trace mechanism in libvirt is dtrace. Although the dtrace
can work, it's not work well enough. Every time we want get information
from the trace point we must write a systemtap script and run it
together with libvirt.

That's really unpractical on some occasion, especially on production
server since the systemtap script can't be executed automatically.
And some problems may be not easy to reproduce, then it will cost a
lot of time to get the trace information again.

So I think it is essential to add supporting for record the trace
information automatically in libvirt to satisfy the user's requirement.
That's why I'm currently implementing ftrace support in libvirt.

How do you think about my idea? Any comment will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Yu