[libvirt] What is the robust/recommended way to retrieve the PID of a VM's init process ?

Thierry Parmentelat thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr
Mon Jan 20 17:53:28 UTC 2014

Hi

Well if I need to run anything in the container context, short of entering it through e.g. ssh - hoping this is properly set up - well, I can’t..

I am using libvirt / lxc to set up a build box; essentially every night I would spawn a set of fresh VMs of some flavours (fedora18, ubuntu, what not) and use this to rebuild my system from scratch
In this context it’s a real hassle to have to even set up ssh, there is no good reason for the build VM to run an ssh service at all, and I am concerned it might pull dependencies that I do not need/want
I’d much rather have a direct means to just run some command inside the container.

Admittedly I’m brain-damaged after having used vservers for too long, and their ‘vserver <container> exec command to run’ feature is in my genes now ;)

Now maybe I am the one who is missing something and there already is something to do that ?
Using the trick below I essentially have what I need mind you, I’m just concerned that it kind of works by accident :-)

Thanks for the feedback in any case — Thierry