[libvirt] What is the robust/recommended way to retrieve the PID of a VM's init process ?

Thierry Parmentelat thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr
Tue Jan 21 12:20:05 UTC 2014

Hi again

So I did give this interesting lxc-enter-namespace feature a try

I found a few glitches that I thought might be of interest; I recall that I use a stock f20 box which probably is already behind as compared to the devel version
root at warhol ~/thierry # rpm -q libvirt
libvirt-1.1.3.2-1.fc20.x86_64

So what I can see is that the exec’ed command seems to have a very limited PATH - if the feature is enabled at all:

# virsh lxc-enter-namespace my-01 -- ls /etc/yum.repos.d/building.repo

# virsh lxc-enter-namespace my-01 -- /usr/bin/ls /etc/yum.repos.d/building.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/building.repo

So my comments are,
- first that defining some even minimal PATH would help;
- and second that in this first form, it would be great if virsh could write some error on stderr instead of being almost totally silent, it took me some time to figure that it kind of worked
Does this mean we would lose any message sent on stderr ?

—
In the same conditions our own local tool would do this

# lxcsu -ro my-01 -- ls /etc/yum.repos.d/building.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/building.repo

Hope this helps — Thierry