[libvirt] [libvirt-users] LVM Volume Creation

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 20:14:31 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 07:26 AM, Ravi Samji wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm having issue with creating LVM volume via libvirt.
> XML of LVM StoragePool is:
>
>     VG01
>

> /dev/VG01
>
>   (existing vg)
>
> XML of create volume in lvm pool is:
>
>     ub_test01.img
>     0
>     1

Umm, that's not XML.  It appears you sent your mail as html mail, but in
a manner that renders poorly when html is stripped (most people read
this list in plain text form).  Can you please resend as plain text to
begin with?

> When I create the volume with above XML defn, lvs command to list logical
> volume shows a value in the origin column indicating it was created as
> snapshot.. the strange thing is that the origin volume does not exist..!
> something strange going on. You can see the lvs output here See
> http://pastebin.com/prk6VqwD [1]

Also, pastebin content tends to be transient; if the output is short, it
would be better to paste it into the body of your email, so that it will
survive in the archives alongside your email instead of suddenly
disappearing.

> I'd appreciate if you anyone can help me understand what is going on and/or
> describe how to make libvirt create logical volumes not as a snapshot.
>
> We are running libvirtd 1.2 with KVM.

Does the problem still exist with the most recent release of libvirt 1.2.6?