[libvirt] [Discussion] How do we think about time out mechanism?

James james.wangyufei at huawei.com
Sat Jul 26 07:47:09 UTC 2014

On 2014/7/25 18:07, Martin Kletzander wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 04:45:55PM +0800, James wrote:
>> There's a kind of situation that when libvirtd's under a lot of pressure, just as we
>> start a lot of VMs at the same time, some libvirt APIs may take a lot of time to return.
>> And this will block the up level job to be finished. Mostly we can't wait forever, we
>> want a time out mechnism to help us out. When one API takes more than some time, it can
>> return time out as a result, and do some rolling back.
>>
>> So my question is: do we have a plan to give a 'time out' solution or a better solution
>> to fix this kind of problems in the future? And when?
>>

> Is it only because there are not enough workers available?  If yes,
> then changing the limits in libvirtd.conf (both global and
> per-connection) might be the easiest way to go.
>
> Martin

That's very nice to receive your reply quickly.

The job pressure is just one point for time out mechnism. If something really bad happened
just like a blocked bug which stops libvirt API returning, and it's very rare to happen,
what can we do to assure the job not blocked by the blocked API?

It's like Process A call libvirt API b, but b never returns, A is blocked there forever, so
what's the best for us to do?

--
Best Regards

James