[libvirt] new openvz driver (bossonvz)

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Wed Jul 2 15:41:15 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 04:15 PM, Bosson VZ wrote:
> Thanks in return for the acknowledgement.
>

> I understand that the long-term plan is to reduce the size of the vzkernel patch and to
> only use vanilla kernel primitives Daniel was talking about. That would be an ideal situation.

Yes, at the kernel level the long term plan is to eventually
get rid of vz-specific API and switch to namespaces/cgroups
completely. Thus any new users that sit on the vzkernel API
make this process ... harder :)

> The thing is that we simply cannot wait for this merge to happen. We have been using OpenVZ
> for many years and bossonvz is just a convenient tool for us right now and, at least, in the
> mid-term future. My question is how is the new libcontainer/PCS SDK library going to influence
> the existing vz-tools eco-system?

We will keep the CLI (vzctl) and library (libvzctl) working on
new OpenVZ installations for some time (several years, I suppose)
by making them properly redirect calls to new API.

But all the new features will be implemented within the new API,
libcontainer/PCS SDK.

Thanks,
Pavel