[libvirt] Bug: iohelper drops I/O error messages

Jason J. Herne jjherne at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 10 20:10:55 UTC 2014

On 06/24/2014 03:21 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 06/24/2014 08:07 AM, Jason J. Herne wrote:
>> During a recent managed save operation I received the following error
>> message:
>>
>>       error: operation failed: domain save job: unexpectedly failed.
>>
>> It turns out that I had run out of disk space. After a brief
>> investigation I
>> discovered that libvirt_iohelper is exec'ed and is used to handle all
>> I/O during
>> a (Qemu) managed save operation. While iohelper appears to be set up to log
>> error conditions when they occur, for some reason the logging is getting
>> lost.
>> I'm hoping someone can help figure out why these errors are getting
>> lost.
>
> What version of libvirt are you using, in case it is something that has
> been improved in the meantime?

I tried this again today with a recent version pulled from git. The
following is the top commit.

commit b02fca79e858dc6e6d3209a44fe967f038ac6291
Date:   Wed Jul 9 10:57:33 2014 +0200

I'll take another look at the code. Hopefully I can figure out why the
messages are getting lost.
Sorry for the delayed response.

--
-- Jason J. Herne (jjherne at linux.vnet.ibm.com)