[libvirt] libvirt / libxl testing emails

George Dunlap george.dunlap at eu.citrix.com
Tue Jun 3 14:37:24 UTC 2014

> On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 03:16:49PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>> Ian / Ian,
>>
>> Daniel V. was lurking on a recent CentOS Virt SIG IRC meetings, and asked
>> about testing the libvirt git repo against libxl.  I mentioned that we
>> already had some basic tests to do that, and he asked whether it would make
>> sense to have the push gate e-mail the libvirt list.
>>
>> I have no idea how the libvirt people feel about that, so I'll let DV make
>> his case, and also let he Ians give their opinions.
> I guess from my POV the answer probably hinges on the reliability of the
> test harness. If it has a very low false failure rate, then it'd be ok
> to send it to this list. Conversely if there's a non-trivial false failure
> rate it'd be better to have it go to an individual who filters it and just
> forwards the real failures to the list.
>
> An alternative idea would be for us to setup a new 'libvirt-testing'
> mailing list, exclusively for spamming by CI systems, that people could
> opt-in to subscribing to.

In my experience the test e-mails are fairly chatty, and fail for any
number of reasons.  The most recent test mail can be found here, for
instance:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/332583

And it seems to have failed because of a problem with the ARM testing
hardware (since builds of Xen and Linux fail as well).

My suspicion is that most people on libvir-list will learn to ignore the
mails unless someone raises a particular failure as something worth
looking at; in which case it might be better to have a separate opt-in
list.  (Or to wait until someone on xen-devel raises the issue.)

  -George