[libvirt] storage conf: Add key-value options to storage pools

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 10:14:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 05:33:13PM +0200, Ján Tomko wrote:
> On 05/28/2014 11:38 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> > This series of patches adds the ability to pass down options to the
> > storage pool drivers.
> >
> > In the case of NFS users can specify mount options and in the case of
> > RBD users can specify options for librados to influence some behavior.
> >
> > All options and values are checked on input validity to prevent injection
> > of malicious commands.
> >

> Should we allow arbitrary options?

No, we shouldn't - at least not in this way. Libvirt's goal is always to
to provide a clearly defined mapping, not do arbitrary unchecked argument
passthrough. History has shown repeatedly that tools/libraries change their
syntax and libvirt has demonstrated its value in adapting to these changes
without breaking application compatibility.

The only way I'd support passthrough is if it were done in he same way
as QEMU passthrough where it used a separate XML namespace which was clearly
marked "use at your own risk, unsupported if it breaks".