[libvirt] Qemu guest agent to install RPMs in guest VM from host machine

Puneet Bakshi bakshi.puneet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:45:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I want to be able to install RPM packages (available in host system at some
path) to the guest VM and want this facility to be available as a tool.

I am thinking of having a gemu guest agent (qemu-ga) running inside guest
VM. I did not find any available command ("virsh qemu-agent-command
<guest_vm> ...") which can do the same.

I am planning to implement a command in qemu guest agent, which I can
invoke from virsh like below.

    "virsh qemu-agent-command vm_01          \
        '{"execute":"guest-rpm-install",     \
          "arguments":{"path":"/usr/local/bin/ABC.rpm"}}

I am able to pass arguments from host to guest VM but how am I supposed to
pass the whole RPM image from host to guest (which the guest agent can
receive and install)?

Regards,
~Puneet