[libvirt] Qemu guest agent to install RPMs in guest VM from host machine

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 14:05:12 UTC 2014

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 04:15:01PM +0530, Puneet Bakshi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to be able to install RPM packages (available in host system at some
>> path) to the guest VM and want this facility to be available as a tool.

Libguestfs can already do this for offline guests.  I'd suggest looking
into using that, rather than waiting for qemu's guest-agent to be taught
a new command for manipulating live guests.

> The general mindset of the QEMU community is to not turn the QEMU
> guest agent into a general systems management tool. It aims to just
> restrict itself to the functionality required for core virtualization
> management tools. So RPM install is out of scope really
>
> If you want general systems management facilities, such as RPM
> installation, then there's countless existing tools for the job
> that are preferrable to reinventing the wheel. eg func, puppet,
> chef, ansible, and many many more.

There has been talk of adding a generic qemu guest-agent command for
spawning an arbitrary command, but no patches so far (in part because
libguestfs doing the same functionality for offline guests has been
sufficient).