[libvirt] Issue about do Auto Core Dump with compress file format on FC 20

zhengqin zsong at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 09:00:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to do Auto Core Dump with compress file format for
dump_image_format (such as: bzip2) on Fedora Core 20,  but the generated
dump image format is not "bzip2".

Here are my steps:

1. Prepare a running guest with following configuration in guest's xml

# virsh dumpxml domU

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
     <on_crash>coredump-destroy</on_crash>

     <qemu:commandline>
     <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
     <qemu:arg value='pvpanic'/>
    </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

2.  Set following values in  /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf

    dump_image_format = "bzip2"
    auto_dump_path = "/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/dump"

3.  Restart libvirtd service

4. Crash the guest os with the following command in guest

#sync

#echo c >/proc/sysrq-trigger

5. Check the core dump file  under  "/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/dump" with
file command

  The output for file command is:  (not bzip2 compress format)

           #file coreDumpFile

ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),  SVR4-style

So, I want to confirm whether compress file format for dump_image_format
is supported by Auto Core Dump?

Thanks.
Zhengqin