[libvirt] Compiling libvirt RPC client library for QNX

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 19:21:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:49:25PM +0000, Panday Ritesh Sharma (rpanday) wrote:

> On 04/03/14 12:09 AM, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 04:09:00AM +0000, Panday Ritesh Sharma (rpanday)
> >wrote:
> >>

> >> When I tried using 'gcc.c4.2.1-p2' for trial purpose, which is available
> >> to us, I hit the error
> >>
> >> =======
> >> checking for gnutls_handshake in -lgnutls... no
> >> configure: error: You must install the GnuTLS library in order to
> >>compile
> >> and run libvirt
> >> ======
> >>

> >> Is there a option in 'configure' file which I can use to bypass this
> >>error
> >> ?
> >
> >You can answer this yourself by looking at the "./configure --help"
> >output which lists all possible otions. Hint  --without-gnutls is
> >what you want in this case.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Daniel
> >--
> >|: http://berrange.com      -o-
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
> >|: http://libvirt.org              -o-
> >http://virt-manager.org :|
> >|: http://autobuild.org       -o-
> >http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
> >|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-
> >http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|
>
> Hi Daniel,
> IS there a configure file which can be used for 'icc' compiler, or the
> same configure file I need to modify and use for 'icc' ?

Just set the CC environment variable eg export CC=icc

> This library is ever compiled with 'icc' compiler ?

I've tried it once in the past, but not for many years. It should mostly
work since icc claims strong compatibility with gcc.

> For the sake of compilation if I use '--without-gnutls' and
> '--without-macvtap' what will be it's impact ? I mean, will I be able to
> use the libvirt RPC client library ?

GNUTLS is used to provide TLS encryption for libvirtd TCP sockets.
Libvirt can alternatively use cyrus-sasl for Kerberos based encryption
and authentication. Failing that you'd have to use an SSH tunnel to
access the libvirt RPC API remotely.

macvtap has no impact on the client library.