[libvirt] uses of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Mon Mar 17 23:46:04 UTC 2014

I received a report about an odd use case of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/
config files, and would like to hear some opinions about it.  The user
"preps" a host by mounting a remote fs containing VM images and config,
creates links in /etc/libvirt/<driver>/dom.xml to
/mnt-point/whatever/dom.xml, and starts libvirtd.  All is well until
there is a need to modify the VM config (e.g. virsh setmaxmem ...
--config), at which point libvirt replaces the link with a file
containing the new config, instead of updating the contents of the
linked file.

I suppose I've always considered the contents of /etc/libvirt/<driver>/
private to libvirt, with a "modify at your own risk" warning, ignoring
that it is user configuration in /etc.  What are the guidelines for
modifying the contents of these directories?  Would the above be
considered valid use?

Regards,
Jim