[libvirt] CPU Topology in Libvirt Java 0.51

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 21:53:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55:07 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 03/20/2014 11:54 AM, Vikas Kokare wrote:
> > We are trying to get the cpu topology data (cores, sockets, threads) using
> > the Java binding of the libvirt API, after connecting to a hypervisor. We
> > are expecting the domain (vm) XML payload to contain the <cpu> element with
> > the <topology> sub-element, but it is not present.
>
> Whether you are using the Java bindings or the C bindings doesn't
> matter; in this case, the <domain> xml is not specified as listing any
> topology for the guest cpus.  Right now, the only topology listing in
> our xml is when describing host capabilities.  But your idea of
> describing guest topology has merit; are you willing to submit patches
> to add it?

Well, libvirt supports guest topology since 0.7.6 (released several
years ago), see http://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsCPU

The reason the topology element is not present in the domain XML is that
the domain was apparently configured without it. It's not something
every domain will have. It's only there if a user put it in the XML when
defining the domain.

Jirka