[libvirt] Device attach / detach problem for passthrough/SR-IOV in libvirt

Mohsen Ghaemi mohsen.ghaemi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:53:34 UTC 2014

Hi all

I just encountered a problem in libvirt while was trying to attach and
detach a sr-iov vf to my VM

The version of my libvirt is 1.1.1-0ubuntu8.5

I tried to attach the device using following xml

<interface type='hostdev' managed='yes'>

   <mac address='5c:01:fd:12:34:58'/>

   <source>

       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x01'
function='0x1'/>

   </source>

</interface>

When i attached device it worked properly and i managed to ping another
host.

virsh # attach-device t5 1.xml

Device attached successfully

But when i detached it still i had network traffic in my VM but libvirt
(virsh) said that

virsh # detach-device t5 1.xml

Device detached successfully

The next time i tried to attach it libvirt said that

virsh # attach-device t5 1.xml

error: Failed to attach device from 1.xml

error: Requested operation is not valid: PCI device 0000:04:01.1 is in use
by domain t5

and when i continue this action after the 'domain' i receive some strange
characters which might come from the memory space (memory content) like
some addresses, links or some characters

I tried it with different VMs and different guest OSs that the same happend.

The same action was done with another host running libvirt version

Installed: 1.0.2-0ubuntu11.13.04.5~cloud1

Candidate: 1.0.2-0ubuntu11.13.04.5~cloud1

and it worked pretty OK. No problem.

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

More information:

Kernel : 3.8.0-37-generic

/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf :  security_driver = "none"

root at compute01:~# ethtool -i eth5

driver: bnx2x

version: 1.78.58

firmware-version: bc 7.4.22 phy 1.34