[libvirt] qemu: managedsave vs. save

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 2 12:16:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 02:08:28PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My KVM hosts share the same filesystem and I'm facing an issue using
> managedsave.
> If I save vmX using managedsave on hostA and restore it later using
> "virsh restore" in hostB
> the qemu process consumes 100% CPU and makes no progress.
> On the other hand, if I save vmX using save the restore works fine on hostB.

FWIW, you use 'managedsave' then you shouldn't use 'restore' - you
should just 'start' the guest as normal and libvirt will automagically
use the managed save image.

Of course this doesn't explain the problem you see - the result of
managedsave should be identical to the result of save. They use the
same QEMU code internally, the only difference being that in one
case you decide the filename and in the other case libvirt decides
the filename