[libvirt] CPU type/flags when converting a physical machine to run on libvirt

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat May 3 08:31:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 05:17:42PM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> That's interesting. So you have many reasons to be conservative by
> default, unless you (or the user) have additional information about the
> target machine/cluster where the VM is going to run.
>
> Is the p2v tool going to accept options similar to the virt-install
> options? Except for additional conversion steps, the process look very
> similar to the creation of a new VM: only the user (or management
> software using the tool/library) has enough information to decide how
> the new VM should really look like.

At the moment, virt-p2v has some input from the user.  The user may
override the amount of RAM or number of vCPUs on the target (by
default, they assume the same values as the physical machine).

They could also change these values after conversion.

What complicates this is that we have had in the past some users who
use the tool to convert hundreds or thousands of physical machines.
Of course they want to automate this as far as possible, and want to
avoid custom tweaks of each VM.

Thanks for the other advice.  It sounds like we should not be too
clever here, and just go with libvirt defaults.

Rich.